2015 Economic Impact of Applied Discrete Structures
We had a event on campus where open source textbooks were one of the featured subjects, so I took the opportunity to put together the numbers for the economic impact of
Applied Discrete Structures (
ADS) for the calendar year 2015.
UML Impact
It's fairly easy to identify the impact here at UML. I counted 405 students who took the first semester of our discrete math sequence (new course numbers MATH.3210/3220 Discrete Structures I/II). I continue to assume that the average cost of our previous text with a mix of new/used purchases would be $140. If 90% use the pdf and save the whole amount and the rest buy the hard copy of
ADS. That translates to a savings of about $55,000 for UML students in 2015.
Outside Impact
The impact on students outside of UML is tougher to estimate. I know of 14 adoptions in 2015, but have no idea how many more there were. Working from just what I know, and assuming 25 students per adoptions with the same assumptions about the alternate book and hard copy usage, I come up with around $47,000.
Conclusion
Combining these two amounts, I'm confident we've saved students over $100,000 in 2015. If you used
ADS and are not on the
adoption list, please
let me know so that I can update my estimate.
discrete encounter emerald?
ReplyDeletedab
I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
ReplyDeleteBangkok
You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
ReplyDeletedesktops online
You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you, hopefully you keep posting new stuff, many thanks
ReplyDeletevapor king
Order custom patches for hats
ReplyDeleteonline and transform your artwork or branding into personalized headwear accessories. Create designs featuring logos, names, initials, lettering, illustrations, or unique graphics. Custom patches can be used for business merchandise, clothing brands, personal hats, events, teams, and creative projects. Choose from different materials and backing options to achieve a finished design that complements your hat and matches your customization goals.